Sunday, February 24, 2008

Looking Back

The past 2 weeks have been very eventful. My manager left the company and since then I get the feeling that the group is slowly disintegrating. I expect that John will announce on Monday that he is leaving. The news that Tom, from PTC, is leaving really shook me to the core. These are some of the things that are making me nervous.

However, I think that I can turn this situation into an opportunity. I have been turning out some good work lately. The CIFS changes, that I managed almost on my own, the TOE driver changes and finally the lock optimization changes.

Amongst all this, and the fact that we are getting ready to welcome a new arrival, we have Siddharth to take care of, and that I really want to reduce weight this year, I am not able to pay proper attention to things.

At work, I need to focus on the following things:

1. iWARP work.
2. RC work.
3. TOE performance work.

Other than this, there would be the obvious bug, review and meeting workload.

At home, I have to focus on:

1. Moni - help her out as much as I can.
2. Ootu - spend time with him, play and help with his studies.

For myself, I want to focus just on reducing weight.

On March 14th I will find out if I am going to Berkeley for MBA. If that does not happen, then I really need to start pushing my career. I am getting a lot of inquiries from companies, but I want to wait till May to see if I get promoted. Meanwhile I have to deliver on the 3 projects that I have noted above so that I can move on as a senior engineer. However, if I do get into the MBA program, and do not get promoted this May, then I will stay here so that I can focus on my studies.

There are some tough times ahead. I need to keep my head clear and focused.

No comments: