Sunday, March 9, 2008

Thoughts for the week

F: Can't buy a house even after 10 years of working.
C: Although there are a number of small reasons, the biggest and most important reason is that I did not negotiate my salary either at Nokia or at NetApp. At present, I could easily have saved $50K more.
A: Scrambling for a small house.

F: No GC after 10 8 years in the US.
C: Did not push for GC early at Nokia. At NetApp I have done better and atleast have my EAD.
A: Can't switch careers, only jobs.

F: Do not feel "important".
C: Did not plan my career smartly. Doing what most others are doing.
A: Low self-respect because for me self-respect comes from position.

Current plan:

May: Decision on MBA & promotion.
If not promoted, start planning for job change.
Sign up for course at Stanford.
[Wasted change in 2007 to take a few courses]

Nov: Start looking for startups to join. Time for some risk taking.
Get solid experience from the iWARP project.
Join someplace where lateral growth is possible.

Jan: Switch job. Things to look for: salary, position, growth, industry.
Might get delayed if the economy is really bad.
Make sure that GC is not affected. Need to make contacts.

Feb: Apply again for MBA.


Other things:

1. Keep looking for a house.
2. Keep building my network.
3. Increase industry awareness.

No comments: